Welcome to Room 2
2012-2013 School Year!
I can be reached by calling the school at 412-824-2450 or by email email@example.com. Please don’t hesitate to call me with any questions or concerns. My web page is a work in progress and I will be adding information throughout the year.
– (Text is Everyday Math) Note book, weekly quizzes, unit assessment, workbook pages, and handouts. Math homework is given Monday – Thursday.
B. Language Arts
– weekly spelling tests, workbook pages, strategies, and word sorting. Spelling homework is given Monday and Tuesday.
– (Text is Storytown) Literature groups, story tests which include comprehension, vocabulary, skills grammar and written response to text, theme tests, word study, partner reading, 25 Book Standard, small group instruction, and oral presentations.
– creative writing (personal, informative, and persuasive). All writing assignments will be kept in a portfolio for the school year and will not be sent home.
– workbook pages, quizzes, and tests. English homework is given occasionally Monday - Thursday.
– Foss/Asset Science kits are used, which consist of experiments, demonstrations, observations, scientific drawings, cooperative learning, worksheets, quizzes, and tests. For the majority of tests/quizzes students are given a study guide to help them prepare for the test.
D. Social Studies
– Pennsylvania history, vocabulary, map skills, study guides, quizzes, and chapter tests. For the majority of tests/quizzes students are given a study guide to help them prepare for the test.
– In order to keep parents informed of grades, all D and F papers are stamped and returned to the student with the request of a parent or guardian signature. It is the student’s responsibility to bring ALL graded papers home. After signing please return papers. All students will receive a mid-term progress report. Grades are updated weekly on Edline.
– Homework is to be turned in the day it is due. If it is not turned in on the due date it should be turned in the following day. I expect all homework to be completed and turned in. Homework assignments are recorded on a classroom homework chart for students to copy into their planner.
– All students are encouraged and should use their planner for all homework assignments, upcoming quizzes/tests, and communication between parents and teachers. If you write a note in the planner, please ask your child to show it to the teacher.
– All students have a writing portfolio to keep writing assignments as well as responses to literature.
– Positive choices are encouraged throughout the school year. Class incentives are offered to students in various forms.
Missed School Days / Missed Class Periods
– When a student is absent from school, please call to get class work. Please give a 24-hour notice. Send in an absence excuse on the day your child returns to school. An absent note must be turned in the day a student returns to school stating the reason for the absence and the date.
If your child participates in music lessons, speech or GATE he/she is responsible for missed instruction and class work.
– Practice multiplication tables each night. Encourage reading both silently and aloud each night for 20 minutes or more.