All grade levels: Opening Exercises
- Students enter the gym and go directly to their exercise spaces.
- Various arm/leg stretches
- Warm-up activity – 45 sec. Timed relay run (cardiovascular endurance)
Objective: Soccer rates high in its contribution to overall fitness. It offers opportunities to develop social skills and emotional qualities.
· Students will gain a better understanding of the general techniques used in soccer skills
· Students will incorporate fitness into the lessons
· Students will learn the importance of safety
· Students will model responsibility and respect
· Social skills will be enhanced
· Demonstrate a positive learning environment at all times
Skills to be taught:
· Dribbling and trapping
· In –step kick
· Passing –heading- throw-in
· Basic Soccer game rules
Procedures: Introduction and teacher demonstration in large group setting.
Simple drills and relays to demonstrate understanding of the skill.
Lead-up games and activities:
- 2 Minute Soccer Club – students will have opportunities to play goalkeeper soccer and get their names posted on the wall for the 2 min. Soccer club activity. Tips: the body should be in a position that permits quick changes of directions and levels. (Approximately 2 class periods for each class) Health/P.E. Standard 10.3.3, 10.4.3, 10.3.6, 10.4.6
- Soccer Tag – students will use their trap and kick skills in games of circle tag – large group activity. Tips: for short passes, use the heel and side of your foot. For long passes, utilize the instep kick. (2 class periods) Health/P.E. Standard
10.3.3, 10.4.3, 10.3.6, 10.4.6
- Scooter Soccer – students will demonstrate their game knowledge in games of scooter soccer. (2 class periods) Health/P.E. Standard 10.3.3, 10.4.3, 10.3.6, 10.4.6
- Five pin soccer – students play a modified game of soccer using pins in the “dead zone’ instead of a goalie. 4 offensive players, 2 defensive players and no goalie for this game. (2 class periods) Health/P.E standard 10.3.3, 10.4.3, 10.3.6, 10.4.6
Nerf soccer balls for each student
Daily evaluations are made at the conclusion of each class period.
Scores are given for:
Adopt an Anchor
- R3-6.A2.1 Comprehension and Reading Skills
Understand Nonfiction Appropriate to grade level. Identify and interpret the meaning of vocabulary in nonfiction.
“Robust Action Word of the Day”
MA.1 Numbers and Operations
- Demonstrate an understanding of numbers, ways of representing numbers, relationships among numbers and number systems.
“Counting off & Dividing into equal teams”