Animal Farm: Take-Home Test SUMMER READING
DIRECTIONS: Answer the following questions for the 9th grade SUMMER
READING: Animal Farm. Use the book to answer these questions. Write all
responses using COMPLETE SENTENCES, and make sure that you CITE the page numbers where you find the answers.
Chapters 1 - 3
1. Identify Old Major, Boxer, Clover, Benjamin and Mollie.
2. For what purpose did Major call the meeting of the animals?
3. After they vote and decide rats are comrades, Major summarizes his
points for the animals to remember. What are they?
4. What is "Beasts of England"? What does it stand for?
5. Why did the pigs get the job of teaching and organizing?
6. Identify Snowball, Napoleon, Squealer and Moses.
7. What actually brought about the rebellion?
8. What were the Seven Commandments?
9. Who gained leadership of the animals? Why?
10. Describe the animals' flag.
11. What happened to the milk and apples? How did Squealer rationalize
Chapters 4 - 6
12. What was the Battle of the Cowshed?
13. What was Snowball's role in the Battle of the Cowshed?
14. Describe the relationship between Napoleon and Snowball.
15. What topic divided the animals? Which pig was for and which was
16. How did Napoleon get rid of Snowball and gain full control of the
17. What changes did Napoleon make first?
18. How did Squealer justify Napoleon's take-over to the others?
19. What two maxims did Boxer adopt?
20. Why did Napoleon in fact change his mind and decide to have the
animals build the windmill?
21. For what purpose did Napoleon begin trading?
22. Why did the pigs say they had to move into the house?
23. Who did Napoleon blame for the windmill disaster? Why?
Chapters 7 - 8
24. Why did the hens have to give up their eggs?
25. How has Snowball's role been changed by the end of Chapter 6?
26. Why did Napoleon begin executing animals?
27. Whom did Boxer blame for the executions? What was his solution?
28. Why did the animals sing the "Beasts of England" song slowly and
mournfully as they were gathered on the knoll?
29. Why was the singing of "Beasts of England" banned?
30. In what ways has Napoleon set himself apart from the other animals?
31. How did Frederick cheat Napoleon?
32. What moved the animals to attack Frederick and his men at the Battle of
33. Why was Comrade Napoleon "dying"?
Chapters 9 - 10
34. What special treatment did pigs and piglets get?
35. What happened to Boxer?
36. The animals on the farm worked hard. What was their consolation?
37. What was Clover startled to discover?
38. What commandment took the place of the Seven Commandments?
39. What did the other animals see when they looked into the farmhouse?